Re: RC: endurance prospect

superpat@gateway.net writes:

<< To the
 extent that the research, training and medical, can help me in strengthening
 and training my horse, I find much value. But in no way do I aspire to even
 taste of the "to win is to win" mentality. >>

Yes, there will be a divergence in the sport coming soon. In fact, it already
exists. Trail riding is not endurance competition and a trail horse is not an
endurance athlete. Genuine endurance athletes have special needs and require
more support during competition--and far more athletic development prior to
competition. The 50 mile a week, ride when it's convenient, backyard horsey
girl is not going to do well in future endurance competition. And it will be
human nature that those left behind will adopt a sanctimonious "horror" at
the techniques necessary to develop and compete with genuine endurance
athletes.

If you want to see this kind of loser posturing at work,  go back and review
the sports literature of the first half of the 20th century, when it was
considered bad form to actually train for sporting events.  Read about the
careers of the great coaches like Arthur Lydiard, who revolutionized athletic
preparation--they were ostracized when their athletes began to dominate and
upset the apple cart of polite social "athletic competition".

Those who take the time and effort to develop superior athletes can expect a
great deal of carping for the losers. They'll be told that they're being
cruel to their animals, despite the fact that their athletes cross the finish
line miles ahead with smiles on their faces while others limp home with
unprepared basket cases.  I've seen it happen dozens of times in parimutuel
racing. I'll give you one example:

About 15 years ago a young trainer in Canada developed a TB that won 7 races
in a row--there wasn't a horse on the track that could come close to him. The
technique used was interval trainiing. Where most horses would gallop 1 to 1
1/2 miles a day and deliver a single breeze lasting 36 seconds once a week,
this horse was galloping six miles a day and would perform interval workouts
of 4 X 3/4 twice a week, absolutely horrifying the other trainers.

So the losing druids got together in a big crowd one day and in the middle of
one of Kid Slick's workouts, they stormed the Steward's office and demanded
the Chief Steward run out and watch this kid trying to kill his
horse-demanding that he be thrown off the track. The Steward obliged and
everybody went out and watch the workout, which took more than 45 minutes to
complete.

As the kid rode his prancing horse out the gap, the crowd swarmed around him
and the Steward asked him to explain what he thought he was doing. The
rider/trainer sat atop his athlete and gave a fifteen minute dissertation on
exercise physiology and interval training. As he finished, the Steward, who
luckily was a vet, turned to the crowd and said, "I hope you've learned
something here."--and walked away.

Developing winning athletes certainly requires a different mindset than
harbored in those of the losing persuasion. That mindset represents the
"edge", and is nothing to be ashamed of. Hard thought, hard work, and a whole
new set of knowledge is required. It's a huge investment in time and
effort--all directed toward developing a sound, healthy, superior
athlete--obviously,  the worst possible result is that the athlete become
injured and that entire investment is lost. These conditioners must adopt one
primary rule: Preserve and Enhance. That is, preserve the athlete while
enhancing his performance.

You end up, hopefully, with a superb athlete make of solid steel that makes
the losers' three-legged wonders look like sad caricatures of athletic
endeavor. And the losers will hate you for the accomplishment. For making
them look like the rank amateurs they are. They'll pray that your animal
breaks down and proves their moral superiority--despite a barnfull of
cripples staring them in the face every morning.

My advice: ignore them. They're moral and intellectual cowards. Do the right
thing and never look back. Leave them in their puddle of misery and continue
to move forward every day. You'll never, ever, reach the limit of what is
possible in building the superior equine athlete. If you stick with it, it
five years you'll know more about equine athletic physiology than any
"expert", including myself.

I'll happily fight your battles here--I've done it for more than two decades
and I'm real good at it. You build the athletes and win. All I ask is that,
as you push the envelope and learn new things, you keep me informed so that i
can pass this information on to those few others who are struggling along
behind you, reaping the catcalls and moral outrage of the pack of hyenas
yapping at their heels. Don't worry about somebody stealing your knowledge
and catching up--there are plenty of losers to go around. All you have to do
is stay in front intellectually as your horses stay in front physically. And
all that means is that you do more, think more, learn more,  tomorrow than
you did today.

To win is to win!

ti