Conditioning effects of snow?

Has anyone figured out how much conditioning a
horse receives while being ridden in different types
  of snow? I just got done riding today for 45
minutes in about 12 to 20" of snow. My horse is tired!
(albeit he's not in the best of shape since it's been
a rough and mostly rideless Iowa winter). I wonder how

snow compares to sand? The
snowmobile track trails seem to be toughest; even
though the snow is compressed down, the hooves seem to

kinda "break thru" the top crust. The "fluffier" stuff
seems easier, even though it's 20" deep. Just
wondering...
Kristi

=====
He's not just a horse,