Egg bars vs barefoot in the winter?

Amy acensh92@aol.com
My horse recently (October) got egg bars put on his feet because he was showing some lameness. We blocked his fetlocks and discovered the pain was there.  The vet said these shoes would work, which they did.  So here is my situation...right now its really muddy in Texas and its a messy winter. I don't have access to covered work areas, so he has to always go in some type of mud.  He is getting his shoes sucked off in the mud and my farrier is difficult to get a hold of and get him out there. So would it be harmful to him if he went barefoot for a few months? Despite his slight lameness problem? I wouldn't be riding him, just letting him "be a horse" in a paddock.  Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Please email me if you have any suggestions.
Thanks
Amy