Buckets

Originally sent this just to John. But noted a few comments on buckets
which means a lot of folks are lugging water.  Your water supply may be
too far from the barn or your pastures, but a water hose on a reel has
been a great addition to our underground system that does not serve all
our paddocks.  A bit of insulation and a properly sized thermostatically
controlled trough heater, and a trough cover saves energy (ours and
power company's). It is important to ensure the cords are kept away from
curious teeth.
_______________

Hi John.  We use a 250 gallon water trough with an insulated cover and
insulated plywood surround with a thermostatically controlled heater in
a can in it so it can't go dry ... along with styrofoam floating on 3/4
of the trough.  That way we only have to fill the trough once a week or
so with a hose from the house.  The hose is on a reel and we can run out

a couple of hundred feet, run warm water into the trough, and wind it
back onto the reel in a couple of minutes.  This was my wife's idea
because she was tired of hauling buckets of water to our stallion and
geldings that we keep separated from our mares and foals who have access

to the underground watering system and insulated bathtub similar to the
trough described above.   (The joy of adding a breeding stallion to the
mix.)

Just had carollers at the door and it is a little over 20 below Celsius
and clear.  The coyotes and the neighbour's half wolf are joining in to
the songs of the carollers who are now next door. Nice night for a ride
amongst the moose and deer while the beet pulp soaks.

We enjoy your posts.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Wayne Delbeke.

Lazy ED Bar Canabians (Canadien/Arab crosses)