Re: Hooves

Heather,
We, too, feel that there are some sound principles in the natural balance
method and it's not really all that new...farriers have been squaring the
toe and setting the shoe back long before the "natural balance" term was
coined.  Our objection is to the NBS shoes, especially for endurance
horses!  We feel they are ultimately dangerous..they are very slippery in
some situations.  Your farrier can use the same principles shaping a steel
shoe...we recommend the St. Croix Eventers (they have a natural bevel so he
doesn't even have to roll the toe...matching a rolled toe plus shoe can be
frustrating) and we like the clips simply because it helps stabilize the
shoe.  He may need to fire up his forge if he has one to shape them
squarely (it is simply easier that way) but can be shaped cold, too.  I
think we simply have to get Nelson busy out here (the stallion needs
shoes!) and get him to shoeing a horse this way and take pictures actually
showing what it is he does so people have a better idea what it looks like
step by step.  As someone said (another farrier, I think) this NBS  shoe
forces breakover exactly in the front...what if the horses "normal"
breakover (they are all individuals!) isn't exactly to the front?  Could
create some unhealthy torque and twisting somewhere...perhaps cause the
swelling you are seeing?  This is just conjecture on my part but I think
it's possible.  Stay tuned and keep in touch.  I am curious to know how
things go for your horses.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.