Hooves

Hi Everyone

(This is long, I warn you guys)

Someone out there is psychic as I was going to post re the above.

Here in France NBS, 4-point, square-toe, or whatever you like to call it is VERY new.  I have a great farrier who has been working with me for 12 years.  He is young, competent and interested in trying new ideas.  He shoes a lot of competition horses, the endurance horses being in the minority.

In 12 years I've NEVER had a lameness due to shoeing and we very rarely lose shoes.  He takes great care with the youngsters and I think takes almost as much pleasure as I do in seeing them through from their first trim until they have their first set of shoes.

We are in the process of "trying" the NBS method.  Eric has been on a Gene Ovenick course and I have a girl-friend in UK whose boss is one of the pioneers of NBS in UK.  Her arabian is shod NBS.  I've seen the video and I think my farrier and I have a good basic understanding of NBS principles.  (OK, OK, I'll get to the point in a second........)

Our first NBS-shod mare, Pearl, (7rs arabian) has a very "daisy-cutting" stride and stumbled a fair bit, mainly due to being idle and not very physically mature.  She has had above-the-knee suspensory problems which hopefully are now over but I felt that NBS could help her as my vet said that she absolutely shouldn't get long in the toe.

When she was first shod she felt "funny" for a while.  Once she adapted she was much better, more balanced and seemed to find it easier to use her back-end.  She is on her 2nd set of NBS shoes.  By the way Eric is forging his own NBS shoes using his understanding of the principles.

We shod a second mare, Nayla, 2 weeks ago.  This is a 10 yr old mare who has only recently started endurance.  She completed 2 40kms rides at the back end of last season with no probs.  She is a bit long in the pasterns so again I thought perhaps NBS could help.

She was shod 10 days ago.  Again, like Pearl, a short period of adaption and then she seemed to settle in to her new shoes.  However, I have noticed that after each period of work her pasterns & fetlocks are filled (stocked-up??).  The filling goes away during the day when she is turned out but comes back overnight, more if she works, less if she has a day off.  Her work-load has not changed and it is obvious from her hr that she is not stressed.  Her diet, like all of mine, is forage based with grain/cereal balancer according to work.

I've noticed that Pearl as well has very slight stocking-up.  You really need to know her to notice, its very slight, just the suspicion of puffiness around the fetlock joints.

So what do you think?  I feel that for whatever reason the way we have shod them is causing the stocking-up.  I have talked about it with Eric and we agreed to go another 10 days until he next visits before making a decision.  If in doubt we will re-shoe them as before.  Perhaps we're not interpreting the principles correctly, or perhaps as I read in an article the approach is too radical.

I have read a couple of posts, plus an article on Nelson's web-site, talking about a less radical method of improving the breakover with "roll-over" shoes.  I presume this means no toe-clip and the toes rolled.

Anyway, sorry this is so long but I needed to set the scene and would welcome any comments as you've all got more experience of NBS than we do.  Somebody in a recent post made the point that NBS is fine but you have to look at the limb formation and this such an obvious point but I wonder if perhaps this is where I am going wrong with Nayla as her forelimb conformation is not perfect.

Look forward to hearing what you guys think but PLEASE don't all shout at once.

Heather Hamper
Aquitaine Arabians
SW France