Re: Re: Hooves

They are probably more slippery on rock than a steel shoe and they will
certainly not last for endurance riding. But the breakover point is
substantially further back than a traditional square toe, and for some
situations that is a benefit. I currently have them on 2 horses with low
heel problems. As the riding increases towards summer, we will probably go
back to squared toed steel - having a foot of swiss cheese from frequent
shoeings is not great either. Although a steel version of the NBS is
supposed to be in the works - if that happens, we will evaluate it.

My horses do not break over exactly in front - in fact considerably off. The
shape of the NBS shoe actually allows a horse to use its natural breakover
point, and mine do. The front bevel of a new shoe is not totally square.

Rather interesting sidenote to this. My farrier and I attended a clinic by
Gene Ovnicheck. I went for the general overview, and heard some things that
made some sense. I left with a single question, and that was is it really
possible to identify the toe calus (a key reference point for trimming under
that school). My farrier attended a hands on clinic with horses the next
day. He brought a customer and his horse and pulled it from the clinic.
Every single horse had its heels jacked up considerably with the rails that
Gene's company sells. And he was not able to see the toe calus on every
horse.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net