Re: breeder ethics

A group at Texas A&M was developing criteria to distinguish
> purebred Arabians from essentially Angloarabs in an effort to stop
> horses, such as Unchained Melody and Victoria's Secret who looked like
> Anglos, ran like Anglos and led the Arab pack at Los Al by 40
> lengths---I was there to see one of Victoria Secret's wins and it was
> pretty pathetic---the jockey was actually holding her back as she raced
> at least 30 lengths ahead---someone said it was 40---could have been. I
> just know it was disheartening to watch.

It's interesting to see that it isn't just in Egyptian racing that this goes
on. Here, they will take Arab mares and breed in interesting stallions,
since the foals will take most of the height from the dam. That's where I
got my yearling's mother, a failed flat track racer (much too laid back
personality) with a gorgeous Arab face and polarbear winter coat (can anyone
say Eurosire?) who has produced a giraffe. Everyone knows it's crooked as
all get out in the average "Arab" race here because horses are admitted on
their looks and height. There are registry races that are a bit better
because no one brought purebreds in from anywhere until recently. Somehow I
thought it was only here.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg