Difficult stallion (long)

Ok all you wannabee trainers...here's your chance!

Let me first mention my experience.
I have been riding for 27 yrs, showing, endurance and fun. I consider
myself a good rider (some people have mentioned the word excellent in there
description of my riding :-)) I have trained/schooled +-8 horses from
scratch to an advanced level (perfect transisions {is there such a word in
a horse owners vocabulary?} lovelly paces and a do anything attitide) three
of these have been stallion who have been complimented on there manners in
hand and under saddle in all sorts of situations. I do not beleive in
beating anything into a horse and will never use force in my training
methods........now to my problem!

I have recently started riding my ara-app stallion who is five. Firstly he
stands for saddling and mounting, stops fairly decently for a horse that
has just been started, when hacking out he will pick up a trot or canter
without jumping around or bucking and he has not shied as yet :-).......
.however when I ride inside, in company or near to strange horses (past a
paddock containing horses while riding out) he does the following: if he
does not want to go or wants to see what the other horses are doing, or
wants to get closer to the fence, he goes into reverse mode (and I mean
REVERSE MODE!) no amount of kicking or (heaven forbid, I tried this once in
frustration, to my eternal shame) walloping on the butt (it was with my
riding cap) will get him to move forward...he has even reversed towards my
dad's horse while out riding! He also will come to a  standstill  and give
little half rears (nothing teriffying) if he hears the other horses (or any
horse) making a noise and I won't let him turn etc. to check it out. He is
otherwise a beautiful ride and I think he will make a super riding horse.
WHAT CAN I DO! these tricks have made me nervious of even the thought of
going to a ride sometime in the future. What can I try to cure him of these
habits? will riding hours improve the situation? (I dread meating other
riders on a narrow track on a ride!) I have never had a horse try these
tricks before, the occasional buck or shy as a youngster yes, but not this!
Let me just mention that I LOVE riding this horse otherwise!!!!

Celeste (South Africa)
Mawlud (its not me folks!!!)
Shadixx (whats the big deal? I'm just being me!)

Ps. I have approached trainers here (we do not have many specializing in
problem horses) and they say WALLOP THE @#$#$%##!!!