Re: RC: Difficult stallion (long)

celeste wrote:

> Ok all you wannabee trainers...here's your chance!

Okay, we've had exactly the same experience with my husband's new horse and
have solved it!!!! I've ridden for 30 years and my husband for about 20, so we
do have some experience also.  His new horse is 10 yr. old, came from an
arena/dressage background with no trail experience.  Hubby (Bob) has gotten
horse used to hills, trailers, water crossings, open/closing gates, etc. etc.
but if another horse would pass us or get out in front of us, horse would rear,
back up, sidepass, sweat profusely, etc, etc.  Bob finally got the correct
advice to solve the problem.  Whenever the horse started to act in that manner,
Bob would take one rein and pull the horse's head to Bob's thigh and just hold
the rein.  At first the horse would spin and spin and you would have thought he
would spin himself right into the ground.  When the horse would finally stop,
Bob would continue to hold the head and count to 30 seconds, then release the
head, pet the horse and say "Good boy."   The horse must stop spinning by
himself, do not stop him.  Every time an upset occurred, Bob would hold one
rein (didn't matter which side).  Gradually horse would spin less and less.
This was all done over the course of ONE trail ride.  By the end of that ride,
horse would get upset, Bob would hold rein and horse would only turn about 3
times.  The next trail ride, horse got upset, Bob held head, horse spun about 1
1/2 times and has never had the problem since.  THIS WORKS.

Amber