dee rings

If I was to get a wintec that didn't have dee rings (the 500, for example)
how would I put packs on it.  I know you can get the lovell of mack packs or
the snugpax.  But then there is the question of how to snap a simple sponge
to my saddle.  Or what if my horse needs a crupper?  I think it is possible
to screw some dee rings on it but... ahhhhhhhhh, scary.  I know that the
wintec 2000 has 2 dee rings on one side (that seems sort of odd but...who am
I to judge) and the wintec pro endurance and pro austrailian stock type
saddle have dee rings all over them but I am leaning towards the 500.  Have
any of you screwed a crupper ring onto your saddle before?  My friend did on
her wintec and it turned out just fine.  It sort of seems like the screws
might just pull out  of the saddle though.  Who knows, please help me.
Thank you...again
-Renee