Re: Now Cannons was Belesemo now Height

Hi Again
I think it's a bit premature for statistics yet. The taller horses are
for the most part Russian or Russian outcrosses (although the Polish and
French, as well as Egyptian---have I forgotten anyone? oh I'm sure there
are some tall Crabbets too who also have some tall ones out there. The
Russian program and French programs were the only ones I've heard of who
were actually breeding for height for their race programs). The Russian
horses were so sought after in the US for their beauty, such as *Muscat,
Pnonmarev,*Procent,*SR Nadom,*Podsnejnik...and the list goes on and
on..that they were not used for racing in the US (although they had to
prove themselves on the track in Russia before they could stand at
stud--- a practice of proving athletic ability which would be nice in
the US) and most of their offspring were shown in the show ring as well.
Certainly their price tags did not make them sought after by endurance
competitors. Their get who did race did VERY well in flat racing---such
as Statistic, RD Five Star, Ptersk.....and many others. Prior to the
Russian horses coming to the race track, it was primarily dominated by
Polish bred horses, notably Kon Tiki, Orzel, Sambor.....The Russian
horses are Johnny Come Lately's to the sport horse field but I believe
we will see in the US what they say in Europe when the Polish Stud Janov
challenged the Russian Stud Tersk to a race. The Russians KICKED BUTT!
Now Polish horses can be tall also so was the Russian victory a result
of height or athletic ability? I believe it is a combination of many
factors, not the least of which is the speed gene combined with the most
important factor, and one that cannot be measured in inches or
pounds----HEART!----the will to race and win.
Let's see if Valerie's 16.1" son of Halynov, ridden by Kristen Snook,
keeps going up in the rankings. Will it be because of his height or
because of his bloodlines? I say, who cares! If Valerie wants a 16hh
horse, or anyone else for that matter, let them have it. There are two
sons of Halynov out there doing very well Regionally (WOA Don Juan and
Centurian) who are far from 16hh so even if Pico does well, is it his
height or genetics?
There are some other rather tall Halynov offspring who have hit the
ground but are not old enough to compete yet. We'll keep an eye out and
keep you posted on their progress. Let's face it, there are not enough
tall (over 15.2hh) horses out there competing to do a scientific
statistical analysis on yet--and there probably never will be because it
is far from the norm to have a well-balanced, typey, conformationally
correct, athletic, and very tall Arabian. I myself think of Halynov as a
"MUTANT" and I love him all the more. (See, Claudia, that will teach you
to get me going on the subject of height. I probably responded with more
than you ever wanted to know about the Russian program. Oh well, it's
rainy out side and it's far more pleasant to be on the computer. Y'all
can always hit your delete buttons.)
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov