Range wars

 >> I find it incredulous that apologies would be due to this person after
reviewing the many extremely insulting posts, aimed at cattle ranchers, that
appeared on Ridecamp from this same person.

Respectfully
Bill Proctor >>

Bill - and others. Please don't assume I'm 'taking sides' on this.
Multiple use issues are very real, and very important to our sport.
We just purchased a chunk of land in the middle of cattle country
in southern Idaho. The range is mostly managed by BLM and leased
by the local ranchers. And the range is in good condition (I spent
2 years doing reseach down there on a rangeland management grant).
The land is also heavily used by ORV's - 4-wheelers and motorcyclists.
There are large wild horse herds. A fair amount of equestrian use,
but it's a little remote for most recreational riders. Everyone coexists
remarkably well, and the BLM folks that I've talked to are pleased
with the way things are running. And now, there
is a proposal before Clinton to convert the entire area into a
National Monument. The proponents of the monument are well organized
and have a strong PR arm. The folks against it (ranchers, recreationists)
are just now gathering strength and starting to fight the proposal
by 'playing the game'. It doesn't do any good to get mad and leave
the room. If you don't listen to your opponent, you don't know
what your next move should be. These ranchers have been 'stewards
of the range' for generations - they care about the land. I agree
 with Heidi - they are our 'friends'. It would probably be disastrous
to the ranchers, and eventually the recreationists as well if the
land does become a Nat'l Monument. (e.g. Outlaw Trail)
I understand this - and my sympathies are with the land owners
and recreationists.  But ... we need to listen to the other side too.
I don't think Sherrel's posts were meant to be insulting... just a very
different perspective. And a common one too.

Steph