RE: RE: bitting questions (a little shorter but not much)

I will definitely go with Kathy on this one. When I started riding again
after a 20 yr hiatus, it was with a 4 yr old green mare and the two of us
went through everything together. Finally, at one point, after about 4 years
of confusion I met a woman who is now one of my best friends who started
coaching us on dressage. I think my heart almost stopped the first time I
tried this, but Dory and I didn't really settle the issue until I switched
from a french link to, of all things, a low port kimberwicke. The first time
out she stopped pulling completely and I barely need to touch the reins.
Turns out she has a very low roof to her mouth and jointed bits bother her.
My gelding, on the other hand, dislikes the kimberwicke intensely and is
happy as a clam with the french link. Fact is I almost never use my hands
and my contact is very light on both. Go figure....now just to try to teach
the grooms that the bridles and bits belong to the horses and not the riders
so when I go out with friends we don't spend the first 20 minutes at the
stables switching bridles.  There's a lot to be said for doing your own
saddling, but that's a weird no-no here where whole families depend on the
incomes from the guys working at the stables.

I ride both of them in a small loose ring french link.

All of the above tested my fear level quotient, I have to
admit.  Cantering around a small covered arena (I'm much
more comfortable out in the open) with my mare's head
down to the ground for a few strides was real wierd.
And my gelding used to take off at a mad gallop when I
let him - canter didn't used to be in his vocabulary - so
that tested me, too.