Was bitting questions NOW contact

Kathy wrote:

>My Centered Riding instructor has passed on to me the
>concept of "unpull."  When a horse is pulling on the
>bit he will most likely continue pulling.  If you "unpull" -
>not give him any resistence - he will discontinue fighting
>the bit.  Sure enough, I put my chronic bit pulling mare
>into a canter, and she dropped her head to pull on the
>bit.  When I didnt' offer any resistence, she put her
>head in a more normal position and was much happier with
>bit contact after that.>

This is excellent advice, and it certainly works.  When I first got PG, he
used to go in this lovely, but oh-so-false frame (vertical head-carriage,
but flexing from crest, not poll, feet engaged but not the hocks, wouldn't
drop his croup, and MAN COULD HE PULL!)

For ages, I worked him in the trot and canter, on a 20 metre circle on the
buckle.  It drove him wild as he had nothing to pull against.  It took at
least two weeks before he would drop his head and relax through his back,
but it paid off.  I still do this exercise for ten minutes before doing any
"serious" flatwork : the result is a horse who is truly round and reaching
into the contact, but giving to the hands.  Boring, boring, boring....but
well worth it!

>My gelding would also crowhop at a canter depart, mostly when he feels
uncomfortable someplace.  Like bad saddle fit or when I'm holding the reins
too tight at the canter depart.  Once I fixed the saddle problems and
remembered to let him have a little more head at the canter departs, the
behaviour disappeared.>

I also found that with PG, he wanted me to "hold him" into the strike-off.
He was using my hands as a fifth leg.  It was weeks before I could get the
strike-off on the buckle (he just used to get longer and longer in the
trot).  Now, I can get it just by sitting and applying leg - and he strikes
off UP into the canter, instead of diving down into it.  Great feeling.

>All of the above tested my fear level quotient, I have to admit.  Cantering
around a small covered arena (I'm much more comfortable out in the open)
with my mare's head
down to the ground for a few strides was real wierd.<

I LOVE that feeling.  As soon as I give either of my boys their head, they
stretch down,down, down, swingign through their backs - they both reach up
through their backs and sink their hocks.  Stunning feeling.

It also means that, on the trail, I can get both horses to do this HUGE
trot, whilst letting the reins hang, and they keep a rhythm without wanting
to break into canter.  Very handy when I'm delving in my moon-bag for
chocolate / cooldrink / cell phone / whatever.

Tracey