RE: bitting questions (a little shorter but not much)

Abby, Marlene, I'm trully enjoying your discussion on this issue,
but I wanted to add something else I learned.

My Centered Riding instructor has passed on to me the
concept of "unpull."  When a horse is pulling on the
bit he will most likely continue pulling.  If you "unpull" -
not give him any resistence - he will discontinue fighting
the bit.  Sure enough, I put my chronic bit pulling mare
into a canter, and she dropped her head to pull on the
bit.  When I didnt' offer any resistence, she put her
head in a more normal position and was much happier with
bit contact after that.

My gelding would also crowhop at a canter depart, mostly
when he feels uncomfortable someplace.  Like bad saddle
fit or when I'm holding the reins too tight at the
canter depart.  Once I fixed the saddle problems and
remembered to let him have a little more head at the
canter departs, the behaviour disappeared.

I ride both of them in a small loose ring french link.

All of the above tested my fear level quotient, I have to
admit.  Cantering around a small covered arena (I'm much
more comfortable out in the open) with my mare's head
down to the ground for a few strides was real wierd.
And my gelding used to take off at a mad gallop when I
let him - canter didn't used to be in his vocabulary - so
that tested me, too.

BTW, when I went for my night time ramble last night,
she was riding her 5 y.o. in a rope halter.  This same
horse took off and dumped another rider that didn't
know how to apply the brakes on this horse (disengage
hindquarters and pull on run rein only instead of
pulling straight back with two reins).  But the owner
has no problems with this horse and a rope halter.
Individual preferences and appropriate experience!

Kathy