Re: RC: Solve my problems! :)

> Here's a question for the trainers out there.. on the trail when he sees
> something he's unsure of, he'll just freeze.  I've tried bringing him down to
> the basics, working on just the forward cue in the arena, and he does that
> perfectly, however on the trail it's another story.  I've tried reinforcing my
> leg with spurs trying to get his attention back on me, but to no avail.  A crop
> helps some, but I don't want to depend on having a crop every time I'm out on
> the trail.  When he freezes up like this, the only way he'll walk forward is if
> I kick the begeezus out of him (which I don't enjoy doing) or another horse
> passes us and "sacrifices himself to the boogyman".  Could this be related to
> the whole saddle issue?  Or is this a training issue - if so, advice is very
> welcome.

My approach would be to carry a crop all the time (of course I do
anyway... kind of like my American Express Card) and use it to reinforce
your leg aids.  I carry a dressage whip, which almost never leaves my
hand, but if you found that annoying you could carry a short jumping
bat, tie a rawhide lace to the handle (it would break if caught on
something) and use a little snap to attach it to a saddle ring.  It
would be there if you needed it.

> So... should I keep my gelding an only horse and wait out the bones to fuse?

I can't say for sure on this one, but I do believe that using joint
lubes will delay fusing of the joint.  Everything I've ever heard about
bone spavins says "bute and ride" to speed up fusing.

-Abby B