Solve my problems! :)

Hi everyone,
I'm having a dilemma here I'm hoping people can give me some advice and
thoughts on.  I've posted in the past and I've had some great advice from all
of you out there.

I'm new to endurance although I've ridden off and on for about 10 years.  I've
had my quarter horse gelding (from running lines) for about 3.  Earlier this
year he was diagnosed with bone spavins.  It's not too severe, my vet tells me
the best thing I can do is keep him moving.  I had him on Legend injections,
but on $100 a pop, it was getting to be really expensive.  I spent about $500
in 3 months and with a new house, it was very pricey. He's out in pasture and I
ride about 11/2 to 2 hours two times a week with arena work about 2 -3 times a
week.  I bute him if I'm going to ride longer or if I go anywhere particularly
hilly.

Earlier this year I purchased a Sharon Saare endurance saddle with all the
frills.  We've been using it for about 3-4 months now and recently I noticed a
white speckling a few inches left from his spine where the pommel rests.  I had
always check for back soreness and dry spots before so I was quite suprised
when I noticed this.  I thought it was the saddle.  So, for 3 weeks I let his
back rest, riding bareback lightly in the arena (off the spot) and yesterday I
borrowed a friend's Crosby dressage saddle for a short trail ride.  It seemed
to fit him correctly, it was wide enough along the shoulders and gave him room
along the panels.  He was a total loon during the ride - he was prancing,
making faces at the other horses, spooking at everything, very atypical
behavior.  As I suspected, when we got home there was a dry spot along the rear
left panel of the saddle.. I feel awful!  So now I'm considering purchasing a
sports saddle which I've heard work great for horses with uneven backs.  The
only negative I've heard is that they aren't great for heavier riders.  I'm
5'2, 150lbs..  can someone with experience with sports saddles advise me?  How
long should I let him recover this time?  Should I even ride him bareback at
all?

Here's a question for the trainers out there.. on the trail when he sees
something he's unsure of, he'll just freeze.  I've tried bringing him down to
the basics, working on just the forward cue in the arena, and he does that
perfectly, however on the trail it's another story.  I've tried reinforcing my
leg with spurs trying to get his attention back on me, but to no avail.  A crop
helps some, but I don't want to depend on having a crop every time I'm out on
the trail.  When he freezes up like this, the only way he'll walk forward is if
I kick the begeezus out of him (which I don't enjoy doing) or another horse
passes us and "sacrifices himself to the boogyman".  Could this be related to
the whole saddle issue?  Or is this a training issue - if so, advice is very
welcome.

Another thing I've been considering is purchasing a horse I can condition and
ride for next year's season.  At the moment I'm only looking to do LD rides.
I've been looking at a few arabs in my area but I'm worried that I may not have
time for two horses having a full time job.  I've been considering leasing my
gelding out but people have been reluctant when I tell them he has spavins.
The whole saddle thing will be another issue with a potential leasor.

So... should I keep my gelding an only horse and wait out the bones to fuse?
Any ideas from people with experience how long this will take?  Should I
purchase another and try and find a leasor for him?  Should I sell my Saare?  I
cringe every time I consider this, I know I should, but I spent over $2000 on
this saddle - next time I know not to make saddles frilly.  Instinct tells me I
should just keep my gelding and wait... I've volunteered at endurance rides and
I'm hooked.. but who knows, I may totally hate riding in one (I doubt it).

Thoughtful advice is welcome, so have at it. :)

Julienne