Re: RC: Re: Equine Infectious Anemia

At 05:30 PM 11/28/00, Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
>A significant proportion of inapparent carriers later become acute and die

I have been curious for a long time about this issue.  I too have never
heard of a horse dying of EIA.  Would you know what the "significant
proportion" actually is?  Would you know what the proportion of horses
which show signs of EIA and die of it (not euthanized) is?

>IF WE HAD DONE THIS IN THE '70'S WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSSIBLE, THERE WOULD
>BE NO EIA TODAY

Another thing I have been curious about is why, if all this testing has
been done, EIA is still being transmitted frequently enough to require
euthanasia as the treatment of (government) choice.  And also I have
wondered why (as far as I know) no other diseases that horses contract from
other horses and die from has resulted in mandatory euthanasia as the
treatment  of (government) choice.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html