Re: Equine Infectious Anemia

I am a scientist, so when this controversy came up in MN a couple of years
ago I took the time to actually carefully research the refereed (scientific)
literature.  Don't forget that true scientific literature is peer reviewed.
This means that 4 to 6 noted scientists in the field have reviewed both the
data and the conclusions and agree that the data and conclusions are valid.
Trust one who has published, very often this review process points out holes
in both research and logic.

Most clinical veterinarians do not have the time or interest in doing this
kind of literature searching.  They also don't want to get into this kind of
argument.  It may lose them some clients and it certainly will gain them
nothing.

We have a person in MN who claims to be a scientist, who says the same
things as this article.  She even claims to have published in the area.  The
funny thing is I could not find her publications, and when I wrote her for
the references she never replied.

After spending at least 100 hours searching the literature, ordering copies,
and reading them.  I came to the conclusion that EIA is a real threat and
that contrary to these claims we should test every equine in the country and
eliminate this disease.   .  Until that is done the best we can do is to
work for more stringent laws and regulations.  Incomplete testing will, in
the long run, result in more horses slaughtered but is the best we can do.

My conclusions:
Inapparent carriers do infect other horses.  A significant proportion of
inapparent carriers later become acute and die.  Nobody and no test can
differentiate between an inapparent carrier who is not infecting other
horses (right now at least), and one that is.  If an herd is left
undisturbed, eventually 25-50% will become EIA positive.  Only equines get
EIA, so if we eliminate it in equines it will be gone for good.  The Chinese
vaccine does not work.  The prospects of an effective vaccine are very
remote.  There is no treatment, or prospects of one.

I will not answer any flames, but anyone who is genuinely interested in
reading a two inch thick file of Scientific Journal Articles going back to
about 1950 please send me $20.00 to cover the expense of copying, and
mailing.  After you have read the literature we can debate the issue.

The bottom line:

TEST YOUR HORSES.  ONLY PURCHASE TESTED (WITHIN 1 MONTH DURING FLY SEASON)
HORSES.  INSIST THAT YOUR STATE TIGHTENS CONTROLS ON INFECTED HORSES.  IF WE
HAD DONE THIS IN THE '70'S WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSSIBLE, THERE WOULD BE NO EIA
TODAY

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016
sisufarm@mmmpcc.org

PS.
Sorry, but I did feel that shouting was necessary.