Re: RC: Re: horse containment in camp

Good point, Truman. In all the years I have
travelled with horses to rodeos I've seen every
type of electric fence wreck imaginable, and
having 'other' animals run into or through your
pens is most common. Everything from stray horses
and dogs to loose calves and wild deer. (the deer
was, however, being CHASED by a DOG)

Two more points I haven't seen mentioned - size of
pen makes a difference. You don't want it large
enough for the horse to get running in. Two
strides is too much- they will hit the fence in a
panic and take it down while running off.

And having a good 'HOT' fence makes no difference
if you are going to insulate your horse with
blankets, sheets, etc. I see people fussing with
their fences and then they wrap the horse up like
a mummy and wonder why he walks over a HOT
fence????

Points to ponder - do what works for you, but be a
bit pessimistic and consider the 'what ifs' of
your system!

Susan