Re: horse containment in camp

For years when we camped we use to tie our horses to the trailers. We had
never seen an electric corral used and just did what everyone else did. We
learned that the best way to tie horses up, was to tie them short enough so
that their nose just touched the ground. That way they could lie down and
chances were they would not get themselves tangled up in the rope. Although
I had one mare that still managed to get a rope burn and I could not ride
her for a while. Not much fun to be out on a trail ride for the weekend and
have to sit at camp because of a rope burn. Also we would tie up hay bags by
them and you have to be sure that they can't get the rope caught on anything
on the trailer. Because if there is anything, no matter how small, that they
can get the rope snagged on, they will.

I have also seen horses get tangled up in the rope on these new tie system
that hold the horse away from the trailer.

We have had the best luck with electric corrals, which we have used for 5
years. You need to make your pens big enough and don't put too many horses
in one pen. Separate your horses by putting divisions in your pen. Also, use
a charger with enough zap to keep the horses in, and I also take along a
tester to make sure I have a charge going through the wire.

We use the electric charger with the "D" batteries, but that is enough with
our horses. But we have friends that have to use an charger with a car
battery. They have a horse that will walk through the little "D" battery
charger. Also be sure and get your horses use to the pen BEFORE you go on
the ride.

Another thing that I like about the electric corral, is it is easy to move.
When we are going to be camping in the same spot for several days, I like to
keep moving the corral around. Not only do they get a chance at some fresh
grass, but it is also easier on the land, since a horse standing in one spot
pooping and pawing, will do a lot of damage to the land. Another advantage
is I can haul less hay, and since we haul 5 horses that saves me a lot of
room.

So after spending a lot of time doing both methods, I definitely prefer the
electric corral over tying your horses to the trailer or a picket line. In
my opinion, tying a horse up is a lot more riskier then using an electric
corral.

Lynette Helgeson