Re: Lease Contract

I leased out a horse last year, and wrote my own contract.  Emphasis on no
attorney, so this isn't guaranteed, but may give you a start.  After a
description of the horse, I stated the party was to have possession and use
of the horse within the following limitations:
- lessee to provide reasonable shelter, turn out, hay, grain, vitamins,
vaccinations, worming, hoof care, dental care and veterinary care as needed.
- I made a disclosure of a previous injury.
- Lessee will not hold the lessor financially responsible for property
damage caused by the horse while under the care of the lessee.
- Lessee realizes there is an inherent risk of injury in exposure to horses
and will not hold the lessor responsible for any injury caused by the horse
to any person or animals.
- If the horse is permanently moved to another location, lessor will be
notified, either verbally or in writing, within ten days.
- Lessee is not required to carry mortality insurance as the horse's value
is undetermined but not in excess of $1,000.  (Obviously, you may want to
require mortality insurance and decide on the value of the horse up front).
If the horse dies while in the care of the lessee, through no gross
negligence of the lessee, no monies will be due the lessor.
-In case of serious injury or illness beyond what the lessee is able or
willing to pay, lessor will be consulted in an effort to find a mutually
agreeable solution.  If no solution is found, horse will be returned to
lessor.
- Lessee has authorization to humanely euthanize the horse if a veterinarian
determines it to be immediately necessary for the relief of the horse or if
an injury is so obvious and severe that euthanasia is the only reasonable
course of action.
-Lessee may relinquish custody of horse, without cause, to the lessor with
thirty days notice, or less if agreed upon by both parties.
- Lessor my regain custody of horse, without cause, with thirty days notice,
or less if agreed upon by both parties.
_ By signing below both parties agree to the terms of the contract.  Any
change(s) in terms will be in the form of a written attachment.

I didn't cover $$$ because this is a free lease.  You'll also want any
dollar arrangement spelled out.

Hope this helps!
Kathryn