Re: manure at rides et al.

A couple of comments.

Toxic is a potential issue and one that  we must face, but science is on our
side. We have been hammered on the possibility (possibility based on
ignorance), that horses may significantly contribute to cryptosporidium and
giardisis. Studies to date (at UC Davis) indicate otherwise. We need not
surrender on that issue.

Perception is certainly part of what we face, but we have science with
regard to toxicity.  Asethetics is a different issue than perception and one
that is more difficult unless we are willing to change old habits - there is
no science to asethetics. Folks don't like to see it anymore than they want
to see a pile of table scraps.

Garbage - banana peels, brocoli stumps, etc. (virtually everything you
scrape off your plate after dinner) is biodegradable. But that doesn't mean
you throw out your window (or throw it out on the street or even haul to a
trail head to be dumped). Biodegradable does not state what the time frame
is for the degrade. If it takes 2 weeks and it is unlikely no one will be
there in 2 weeks, then fine, leave it. But trailheads and campsites are used
virtually every weekend. And it is rare area that you could leave everything
and return the next weekend and find nothing - if you think that is the
case, then try it: come back the following Friday and take a look. If you
can't come back the following Friday, assume the worst.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net