RE: Re: manure at rides et al.

At most of our county and state parks here in the SF Bay Area are okay
with the amount of manure being left in the parking lots.  We have been
happily  cleaning out our trailer messes without a single thought about it.
And these are pretty public use areas.  One is actually a paved parking
lot and on weekends there are usually several horse trailers there.  But
then again, it's usually only 1/10th full and I could see where if it
was filled to 100% capacity and there was manure in the parking lot
it could become a major issue.

I have camped at a horse camp where they have a designated manure pile,
wheelbarrow and fork for cleanup and it was pretty clean when we arrived.

I have also been at both types of rides where we were asked to clean all
hay and manure and where they said "just scatter it."  I have also
volunteered where I had to help pick up bags of manure only to have
the bag break on my hands... Yuch.  I can't even imagine trying to
haul it home to dispose of it - where would I put it so that if the
bag breaks I wouldn't have .... all over it?

All I could say is that if the ride management requests that the
area be clean, take it seriously.  Most people seem to comply and
the few that don't, shame on them.  I personally would not want to
ruin the chances of not have a ride due to this issue.  If the
landholders, whoever they are - government, private, etc. are
sensitive to this issue, we should be sensitive to their wishes
as well.

I also have a hard time thinking about those bags of manure
going to landfill when it would make wonderful compost for
some lucky gardener.  So who's making ecological sense here?

So much for the "hot" topic of the week.....  They should
elect Howard for governer of Florida then things will the
whole election thing would make more sense, huh?

K.