manure at rides et al.

> There are different issues in different regions. In FL and most of the SE,
> decomposition of organic material is fairly rapid. Any hay that is left is
> rapidly taken care of by deer. Manure is first picked over by birds and within
> weeks is part of the environment.

I don't think it is a matter of what actually happens to
the manure that is the concern, I believe it is the PERCEPTION
of manure that offends the untutored.  All over this country
manure is viewed as toxic waste by government agencies and
environmentalists.

They outnumber us by a LONG SHOT and we can resist their efforts
all day long and it will not change their perceptions or their
beliefs.  In the end, they ***WILL*** impose all kinds of oppressive
regulations on us as horse owners and don't think for one moment
they can't force you to comply.

To delay the inevitable for as long as possible, we as horse owners
***MUST*** do EVERYTHING in our power to leave as few signs we were
there as possible.  That means cleaning up our hay, packing out the
manure (or otherwise rendering it invisible), creating or using
blowouts or doing other things that cause other environmental users
to complain.

The utter importance of this issue and our indifference to it
as horse people came home to me when I saw the mess that was
left in the streets and in the staging areas when I unthinkingly
organized a parade of horse people in support of our successful
1996 Olympic Equestrian Venue.  My business partner (bless her
heart) and I spent an entire day cleaning up trash and loading
a large dually nearly over-flowing with manure, hay, straw,
shavings and trailer sweepings.

When I called the culprits I could remember to task for leaving
such a mess, to a person they all dismissed their thoughtlessness
with "it's all bio-degradeable."

It's the times when a non-horser sees the stuff before nature
reuses it that causes the problems.

Marv "Yes, that *IS* a sack of horseshit
hanging from my saddle." Walker

--
Horse, Marketing, Self-Employment 'N Other Info
Open 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week, 365 Days a Year