First Ride Story

Well, Ya'll have an addict on your hands!  Just got home from Alpine and my
first ride (haven't even fully unpacked yet).  What fun.  It started out with
an adventure-some drive from Jacksonville to Hahira.  A two hour drive turned
into 4 1/2 hours when my truck broke down.  A little guy in nowhere, Ga who
spoke a brand of English I didn't understand climbed into my engine
(literaly), promptly removed my thermostat, and sent me on my way.  I did
manage to get to the ride before dark, so all was ok.  I got vetted in with
no problems and Alpine started out the ride with all A's, except for B in gut
sounds.  Maybe I should feed before the friday vet check.  Hmm.....

The weather for the ride was absolutly perfect.  I might have asked for it to
be a tad warmer at night, but daytime was beautiful.  Alpine and I started
out in the rear with two other new riders and trucked on down the trail.  I
think we went a little faster than I had planned, because I was just starting
to enjoy myself when, oops!  there is the first vet check.  That 17 miles
went awfully fast!  I got off and walked the last 1/2 mile to the check, so
Alpine was down to 52 before we hit the P/R check.  He ate/drank like a champ
the whole way!

The last 9 miles went very quickly.  Alpine didn't seem too tired (MAYBE a
bit more mellow) and was moving along very well.  Hit camp about 1pm,
immediatly went to the vet check.  We had walked the last mile in, so Alpine
was already at 54, and we vetted out with all A's.  All I have to say is I'm
glad they don't vet out the riders!!  Between the VERY sore shoulders from
holding Al back all day, the wasp sting on my tush (don't ask....that was a
strange one) and the gimpy knee, I wouldn't have passed!  But nothing a
little ibuprofen won't fix.

Over all, I couldn't ask for a better ride.  I got to meet some wonderful
people, including others with Paso's in endurance, and some of my ridecamp
friends.  Everyone was absolutly pleasant, and I will be back to River Run as
often as I can.  Now, I need to check the internet for more rides!!!

Juli and Alpine
25 lifetime miles!