Shoes: Xtra Heel Soft Bar Pads

I started this thing and have been chasing it for some time now.  Bobbi
Lieberman first mentioned these "flip-flop" things to me when we were
discussing my horse's low heels and tendency to yank off front shoes.
Bobbi and Kat have the same farrier, who graciously called me and in
addition to discussing the pros and cons, faxed me installation
instructions, hand drawn pictures of tips and techniques, and where the
darn things come from. Contact Bobbi or Kat if you wish to speak with
her...I'm not sure she would want to be inundated with E-mail or phone
calls so I won't post that info.

First, "flip-flops" and Xtra Heel Soft Bar Pad are not two different
things...."flip-flops" refers to several products which are similar in
function. The Xtra Heel Soft Bar Pad is a type of "Flip-Flop" product
and is just a hard pad with a hole in the middle.  You cut off a regular
shoe right behind the heel nail hole and nail it on in a "pocket" over
the pad.  The pad is is all there is on the back of the foot and it
extends over the heel bulbs. There are two "models", one for a thick
steel shoe and the other for a "thin" aluminum racing plate. This
ensures that the slot in the pad matches the height of the shoe at the
cut-off end. You trim the pad to fit the shape of the foot/shoe.

There are other similar products called "Flip-Flops" or "Combi" shoes
and other names out there so you may get confusing information from
suppliers. The "real thing" and the one you want is from:

Bob Shirley
Saddle Creek Farm and Supply
1-800-995-8858

I forgot to ask him for an address, but I assume this is in California.
Bob was very helpful and I'm sure would be willing to mail or fax
installation instructions to you if you wanted more info. (Tell him you
spoke with me....maybe I'll get some referral points here if I really
like 'em and want to buy more later) :)

They do not currently have a web site, but Bob mentioned that he is
currently implementing one and should be on line in the next couple of
weeks.  He promised to E-mail me when this happened and I will post to
Ridecamp.

Bob is shipping a couple of pair down to Georgia and I will try them the
next time I shoe....just shod in preparation for Hahira, so may be a few
weeks.  I will post how well they work out.  We have everything down
here in the Southeast....rocks, mountains, mud, bogs, hog wallows, sand,
hardpack, gravel, asphalt, etc.   I'll give them a chance and see what
happens.

After all this effort, I probably should write an article for EN on
them!
Thanks for all the help from everyone trying to track these down.

Jim Holland AERC 4074