Training a uncoordinated 6year old on downhills

Vicky Rhein partlypainted1@aol.com
Hello,
I am just an avid trail rider with the hopes of CTR, until then, I have a 6 year old gelding, that was mostly a ring horse, very good yields, leg,hand,etc., however going down hills at a walk are near to impossible for him.  I am in his mouth, to slow him down, I have tried one rein, one leg,(his) I sit back, I have used leg, to try to collect, I have taken off leg, and sit back.  Unfortunately, the trails that I have are very hilly, and usually muddy he acts as though he doesnt know where each leg is.  I feel very unsecure, and rather dangerous as he shows no promise in getting us down safely.  He is to the point he is getting the loose squirts as we approach the downhill point.  It takes only 2 or 3 hills to get him going.  Does anyone out there have any ideas how to train him to relax and pussyfoot down??  Or at least where his legs are?

Vicky