RE: Training a uncoordinated 6year old on downhills

Vicky:

First, it is natural for the horse to trot down hill. Second, if you are
going to ride the slightest bit in competition, it is necessary for your
horse to be able to handle trotting down hill.

I would suggest that going back to some basics in the arena/round pen. Get
those lateral movements down solid, have a free backing horse and one that
is in complete control. Then add to that backing up hill. Just a slight
grade to start and then increase it a bit after several weeks. Then stopping
part way down hill and then backing up a few steps. This all, on lead line
and then under saddle. These exercises will make the horse a bit more aware
of what you want, when you want it.

Now, realize that he needs a very free head going down hill. He needs his
head for balance and control. If you have a hold of his head, being in his
mouth he will not be capable of using his back to the extent necessary.

Then there is the factor of YOU. If you are not assured, the horse will not
be assured!. Have confidence in your horse, he does not want to fall any
more than you do. Perhaps even less. But then, again realize, if he is a bit
unsteady and does not have his hind legs under him he will want too speed up
to maintain balance. That is the purpose of getting those lateral moves down
pat and stopping and backing up hill. Keeps the hind legs where they are
needed.

No horse will pussy foot down a hill! they will walk on the traverse from
side to side, the will almost side pass down reasonably slow or they will
trot/canter straight down. You have the choice. But of all things go back to
the basics for your own safety.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID