Re: RC: freeze marking problems

some things i've heard in the dog/cat world regarding microchips is that
others can be implanted so then the question becomes which is latest
etc.........

with the freeze branding, most horses i've been around while being done are
very good, come react more to the pressure than the actual act, most
descrptions already given of what happens after is our experience
also  HOWEVER  all our horses that were done, back in 70's and also in
90's, had the area swell up after a couple of days (it IS a burn even
though it comes from cold instead of heat) and the neck area was sensitive
to touch and one or two horses seemed reluctant to stretch their heads to
the ground.

small inconvenience considering the safety factor from having it done.

regarding the 'A brand is permanant...', i have heard of ONE horse in Texas
years ago where the skin where the freeze mark was located was actually cut
off of the neck.  someone who worked at the farm went and retrieved the
piece of skin from the trash and called authorities....we are talking very
high priced horse in this case so people must of thought it was worth the risk.

The Registry knows of no other organization than Kyro Kynetics doing freeze
branding.  I was reminded that Valley Vet supply catalog does sell brands,
a single letter is$89.95 and believe they will go up to 3 letters.  If one
were going to be doing multiple animals over years time that would be worth
it, most vets have access to liquid nitrogen because of handling frozen
semen.  This brand should then be registered with the state to make it legal.

I did find the flyer that was misplaced, put a call in to the fellow and so
far no answer.  he was advertising freeze marking for $35.  i'll try again.

karen

karen