Re: hoof flight path

Kathy Mayeda wrote:

> "Yet,
> I would rule this horse out of any endurance racing because of the
> rotation."
>
> Marv "Tracks are nature's books." Walker
>
> Marv, I agree with you about the chiropractic care.  I forgot to
> mention that in my previous post, but it was part of my "getting
> my horse sound" protocol.
>
> I disagree with you however about ruling out the horse for
> endurance racing.  I had completed three 50 mile rides this
> year, decreasing my ride time by an hour each and increasing
> the difficulty of each ride.  This is on a horse that had
> severe body torquing, high-low hoof syndrome in the front,
> club foot, upward fixation of the patella on the left rear,
> and some real strange hock action in the left rear.  We even
> top-tenned the last ride.  He was pulled for lameness last
> year at our first 50 attempt, but we had no lameness at all
> this year in our three 50's.

When I said I would rule out "this horse" I was referring
to the one who made the tracks in the images.

While each case is different and must be decided on a number
of factors, probablities must be given the most consideration.
An oddly conformed individual may be able to compete for a while.
What I'm saying is that for those who are interested in building
up mileage, or for those who do not want to risk shortening long-
term usability in less-strenous piursuits, a horse that exhibits
major movement deviations may not be the most suitable endurance
candidate to invest in.

While the horse you describe has been capable so far with one
exception (that even the healthiest of horses can have happen),
I would consider this to be the exception.

Marv "Why hasn't Bill Gates sent me my email check yet?" Walker
--
4H Benefit Demonstration And Hands-on Clinic
Murfeesboro (Near Nashville) TN, Nov 11-12, 2000