Fw: Bedding for ER horses

This is a really basic question but not covered by the archives i checked over lunch;-)

I currently bed my horse on straw , hes stabled about 17 hrs per day over winter. I like this bedding, warm, natural and the local sparrow population appreciate it! Unfortunatly my horse does tend to nibble on this making it hard to keep his weight down ( he gets fat on thin air).

I cannot use a deep bed of shavings as I am alergic to shavings.

Im contemplating rubber matting - does anyone have any comments on bedding material, the pros and cons of rubber matting and does every one really think straws such a  no no?

replies to me rather than ridecamp to prevent boring everyone else!

Cheers