Re: RC: ...Ridecamp//"Successful" Endurance Riding

In a message dated 10/20/00 9:05:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
greymare@jps.net writes:

<< 13:  My favorite question:  How did so many of the early riders complete
ride after ride without the
 HRM, custom electrolytes, improved tack and advanced endurance research?
How did so many of you ride 100 miles in tennis shoes and english
stirrups??!!!

Many of the early riders did do just that.
Many of the early riders did not.
I would love to see some completion statistics (number started/number
finished) from...say 1980 (particularly for rides that are still going) and
compare those completion statistics to say 2000.
    I think we would be surprised to see just how big a difference the
techno-endurance gadgetry of today does or does not make a difference in
COMPLETION rates.  It does (probably) make a difference in the SPEED in which
those same rides are completed SAFELY.
    It seems to me, (and I could be wrong here, but...) that much of what we
see in techno-endurance gadgetry these days (i.e., HRM's, altimeters to track
total feet ascended/descended), etc.) can, at times, actually hinder in the
successful campaigning of some endurance horses (time used tinkering on the
trail rather than "feeling" and monitoring effort/cost ratios/efficacy.)  If
the rider actually spent the TIME to get to really REALLY know a given horse
and its particular idiosyncrasies of effort-expended and its relative cost
(oxygen used, muscles used, recovery gaits/rates, etc.), THEN, the most
efficient manner to get down the trail for that horse could be determined,
used and maintained for some time.
    That said, I know there are many "successful" endurance riders out there
that have the ability to manage their particular techno-endurance stuff and
my opinions are in no way an attempt to diminsh their efforts or
abilities...they're good at what they do.
     I have a hard time drinking from my water bottle without dropping it on
the trail...but I'll work on that.
     Anyway, Karen, I love that question.
    Have a nice horsey day, weekend, Autumn,
             Frank.