Re: RC: How to improve Ridecamp..........

At 04:01 PM 10/20/2000 -0500, Bob & Amber Roberts wrote:
>DreamWeaver wrote:
>
> >   Weaver got a few months off this year because of a vaccine reaction.
>
>Oh, oh.  Please tell us about this.

Well, he'd just done the Gambler's ride in early April and I was planning
on taking him on the Washoe 50 in May.  So I had the vet out for spring
shots, coggins, etc.  He gave each horse their regular shots, then came
back a week later and gave the nasal strangles.  This was the third time
Weav had received the nasal strangles vaccine (and last!).  It totally blew
his immune system.  He would lie down and not get up unless forced to (tho
he would still eat, he'd just lie down in the hay and eat <G>).  His sheath
swelled up like a football, and so did his glands and nodes under his jowl
area.  Let's see...oh yeah, he also broke out in hives on his neck, became
extremely sensitive and sore all over his entire body (you couldn't groom
him), and an old spot on his side that had originally been a small fungus
infection the size of a nickel (from 2 years before)---re-erupted again and
this time it became raw and oozing.

Exercise helped reduce the swelling, however it always came back.  It was a
very difficult time, to figure out how much exercise he should have (which
really helped him) without risking making him any worse.  No exercise and
he could hardly move, I had to walk him at least 5 miles 5 times a week.

Ultimately, what helped him was regular exercise combined with cramming him
full of herbs and stuff to boost his immune system, and time.  If somebody
didn't know, they'd think he had tied up by how he walked, poor
guy.  :+((   His sheath is still very large for a gelding, some people tell
me it may always be that way.

That happened in April, and it was probably September before the lymph
nodes in his jowls starting going back to normal again and staying that
way.  He's now done 3 rides since then, and appears to be over the swelling
problems.  His coat is glistening, and he's very happy and energetic,
really glad to have my horse back :)).  He won't be getting anymore
vaccines for awhile (if ever), and we will be very careful with him in
regards to his worming program too.

My horses biggest problems always seem to be their owner trying to do
what's best! <G>