age to start riding conditioning

If you are unsure about starting the horse under saddle or driving the horse because of problems with driving.  How about ground driving, and or just taking the horse out for walks in the woods.  My new horse was started under saddle as a 4 yo but the breeder had taken her for 5 mile walks( in hand with halter and lead) before I purchased her.  The breeder is a runner and does the ultra cross country stuff 50 K.  She was really good out on trail after she was started under saddle as she knew about streams, puddles, mud, rocks, all the things they need to get used to when started riding on the trail.  She still shies at deer and non-existant stuff, but I do think it was a very positive experience, plus does some strengthing of muscles, tendons, ect.without weight on their back too early.  Also if you are on the ground the tendency to go too fast too soon is non-existant, especially for me as I am a snail when it comes to running.  (grin)  Louise