Re: Colic in inexperienced horses [was "Thanks"]

At 01:47 PM 10/16/00, Karen Sullivan wrote:
>Do you think it is also perhaps because the horse is still hot, and is just
>standing.......heat builds up, heartrate goes up, horse gets colicky?

No, I don't think so, for two reasons:  1)  At that point in his career
(the beginning) we were walking the last miles in, and 2) Later on when Nas
did have more experience we were finishing with much shorter ride times,and
we were trotting and sometimes cantering over the finish line, so he would
have been internally hotter I'd think - but he didn't have the problem.

I think what happened is that his body just got conditioned for the work
and all was well again.  He never had problems during
workouts/conditioning, even if we were away from home with other campers -
just during the first few races.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html