Re: Colic in inexperienced horses [was "Thanks"]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lif Strand" <fasterhorses@gilanet.com>

> What Chris was describing seems to be something that isn't uncommon with
> inexperienced horses - that is, inexperienced at endurance
> competitions
 By the third time after a race
> that this happened a vet told us that the horse would probably "grow" out
> of it after he became experienced and more relaxed about the whole thing,
> and for a while we should change our post ride protocol by assuming he
> would be colicky and taking preventative measures - the mashes, the
> walking, massaging - tho we didn't use drugs.

Lif,

Do you think it is also perhaps because the horse is still hot, and is just
standing.......heat builds up, heartrate goes up, horse gets colicky?

My big mare that is half walker has a harder time in hot weather.......she
has cramped up before s becuase I did not cool her long enough........I
thought after walking the last mile in, and passing the final vet check with
all A's was enough.....ready to turn her out in her corral to eat
mash.......but she was still internally hot and needed to be cooled
further.....

Karen.