Colic in inexperienced horses [was "Thanks"]

What Chris was describing seems to be something that isn't uncommon with
inexperienced horses - that is, inexperienced at endurance
competitions.  Our stallion was quite experienced at showing when we got
him at 8, but when he did his first races at 10 he would have that same
colicky episode about 2 hours after his races (we were doing 50 milers, not
LDs, and coming in around the last 1/3 of the pack).   The first times it
happened we just treated it like Chris did.  By the third time after a race
that this happened a vet told us that the horse would probably "grow" out
of it after he became experienced and more relaxed about the whole thing,
and for a while we should change our post ride protocol by assuming he
would be colicky and taking preventative measures - the mashes, the
walking, massaging - tho we didn't use drugs.

Pretty soon after that Nas stopped having those episodes.  We averaged 350+
miles a year on him the three years we rode him - 50s and 100s both - and
he never had them again after those first few.

So just hang in there,  Chris!

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html