thanks

Chris hf.ckz@forsythe.stanford.edu
This Saturday our 6 year old monster half Shagya attempted the Quicksilver 30, which would have been his second LD ride.  He did the 30 Firecracker in July with no problems.  Saturday was another story, however.  We pulled him at the first vet check when the vet very gently suggested that he had a minor lameness in the RF.  All other parameters were A's.We were just hanging around at the stop when about 30 minutes later he started showing signs of a severe abdominal cramp.  People from all around me, mostly crews waiting for their 50 mile riders, rushed in to help.  They got the attention of one of the ride vets, helped me to keep the horse up and walking and offered bran, electrolytes and encouragement.  The vet treated with a sedative and Banamine, light doses because the horse had not been drinking and dehydration was a concern.  After about 90 minutes of walking, sipping at a sloppy mash, wet hay, 1 dose of electrolyte(donated by a kind stranger) and 3 checks by a ride vet, the horse was alert, not in pain and beginning to recover gut sounds.  We trailered home, about a 90 minute ride and he looked awful for another 90 minutes but then perked up, started eating and even pooped. (Poop, a major breakthrough!)  Sunday he was back to his normal, evil self.  I write to give yet another example of the kindness, concern and knowledge of the endurance community.  Everyone at a ride is busy and has objectives of their own.  It is so amazing to see those dropped when a horse is in trouble. I want to thank all those who helped, whose names I have no idea, having been in a bit of a daze myself.  This hit out of the blue, and could have had a much worse outcome.  I am grateful that it did not.