RE: riding distances

Janet:

One of the best things about endurance is that there is no stratification of
ability in competition. If you are a rank beginner you can still be a top of
the line competitor. If you are a millionaire you still may be capable of
only finishing in the rear.

All possibilities are open to any and all endurance riders. You do not have
to "qualify" through different levels to prove your proficiency. You just go
out there and do the ride.

I disagree with you that the playing field is not level. It is as level as
can be in any sport. Money is not as important as ability. The winning hors
can have been purchased for $500 as well as $50,000. The use of electronic
aids? The heart rate monitor is not much of an aid! Our horses have racked
up over 26,000 miles in competition 96% in the top ten and we have never
used any electronic aids. They are unnecessary.

You ask is it the horse or rider? I say that it is the horse AND rider! It
is the team of horse, rider, farrier, the vet and the desire of them all to
work together.

I also disagree with you the thought that FEI and possibly the Olympics are
"Higher Level" competition. They are no higher than any other ride. Perhaps
the egos, the pomp, the just plain bullshit associated with them make it
seem so, but on the trail it is still the same horse and rider team.

Believe me, and this comes from experience covering not only local rides but
regional, national and International competition, they are all the same once
you are on the trail. They are the same people, the same horses, and the
same challenges.

You too can be an international competitor if you so desire.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID