riding distances

We tend to get stuck in the arguments about limited distance and endurance
based on the number of miles.  Here's another perspective, and it should
engender discussion:  There are different levels of competition and ability
in endurance (racing).  It may be that the separation will evolve more
toward amateur/semi-professional/ professional, similar to other equine
sports (I'm thinking rodeo at this time, but dressage also comes to mind).
Also, there are sports which have different levels, or leagues, as in
softball/baseball.  (I know speaking about such in relationship to endurance
is heresy or apostasy, but I'm struggling to find a good analogy.)

For instance, some folks use electronic aids; some don't.  To me, there is a
considerable difference, one which at some point could differentiate
professional from non.  This is NOT to say that a top competitive rider
couldn't, can't, or shouldn't ride without monitors; it simply is not a
level playing field when the mix in the field is so diverse.  A top
competitive 100 miler is not in the same league as a consistently mid field
25 miler; nor is the top 100 miler in the same league as a consistently
tailender 100 miler.

Is it the horse or the rider?  The rider makes the choice on distance based
on an assessment of the horse's capability and the DESIRE of the rider to go
further.  This is similar to track racing, except the owner may be the
"jockey."

To conclude for now:  As we consider Olympics and other high level
competitions for endurance (yes, there is FEI), it is apparent that there
are levels of competence and competition in endurance racing, and that, it
seems to me, is ultimately more significant that the length of the ride.

Janet B (and Handsome, oh no you don't I'm happy in the pasture; China,
Yikes, it's a tiger whaddya mean its a water pump); and Spike, okay let's go
what's that, ok I'm ready, no what's that, ok I'm ready, whew, faster
?????OKKKAAAYYYY!!!)