RC: Hosing sweaty horses in cold weather

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

I live in the NE, and our nights lately have been
getting down in the 20's.

I always have washed the horse, then blanketed them.
(washed, they dry in about 1/4 of the time it takes
if you just blanket a sticky (sweaty) horse.)

The last few years, I've been pushing the low temperature
that I'll hose them down (cold water), and *not* blanket
them, just turning them out.  ( Weather conditions, plus
temp. of course play a  role.)

Last nite I rode just before dark, temp was 42 deg F.
Horse just broke a sweat (shoulders, chest, neck, a little
under the saddle).
I hosed his front half when it was 39 deg & turned him
into the pasture (Steam was coming off him).

He was totally dry in 30 minutes, and the temp. last nite
went down to 25 deg.  (no wind & clear).

Who else washes their horse at low temps, and what's
your protocol?  (i.e. blanketing, how low is LOW, etc.)

Thanks,
Barb