RC: Hosing sweaty horses in cold weather

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Colleen:
What are the temperatures you're talking about.?

We can have temps here, fluctuate from +20F and drop
way below zero in a short time.
Winters can me mild or brutal.

I have specific protocols for specific temps (and
individual horses) I follow for fall and winter.
I don't clip, mainly because I don't blanket (often).

For example, If I ride when it's 15 deg F and the horse
gets sweaty, I sponge him off with mild water, and he gets
a blanket, only till he's dry (I don't use blankets as a rule,
but there are exceptions).

Below zero degrees I don't ride (although I have gone out for a short ride at  -10
degF if there's no wind and it's sunny (which is rare).

I'll re-phrase:
If any one hoses their horses with cool water
at temps below 35 degF I'd like to hear from them.

regards,
Barb

Barb