Re: helmets

----- Original Message -----
From: Annie George
To: ridecamp
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 6:01 PM
Subject: RC: helmets

>I am entitled to my floppy hat and my opinion. But you do not have the rite to force your personal  attire on me.  Anne George <

Dear Anne.....
But I, as a member of this society do not have the right to refuse to pay higher insurance tabs (if I want insurance). If you should (god forbid) have a fall and crack your head open, I (society) do not have the right to refuse you extensive and very expensive) medical treatment. And if you should wind up a vegie, I do not have the right to refuse to take care of you for the rest of your life. No, Anne, I don't think you are considering all of the ramifications of your choice not to protect yourself from possible serious injuries. If you think a helmet gives you a headache, Consider what a crack on the head from hitting a boulder would feel like. Worse than a headache or crick in the neck, I would guess.
But I don't really expect to change your riding style. And if I remember correctly, it was only a short time ago that we hashed this topic over ad infinitum. I suspect that the recent death of a wonderful woman endurance rider who failed to wear her helmet only on the fatal day of her accident will ignite discussion again.
Here's wishing you years of safe and enjoyable riding.
Pat Super