Re: Is it sweat or stinky pads?

Hi Carla,

"There's a fungus among us", I believe the saying goes  :-).

Actually, your saddle pads are probably harboring any variety of microbial
critters who release the fragrent "perfume" you've encountered as a
byproduct.

_Hot_ water and a good dosing of non-chlorine bleach in the washer, along
with a tumble in a hot dryer for at least 20 minutes may take care of minor
cases.  The non-chlorine bleach contains hydrogen peroxide, which can help
to reduce the microbial population (and should not alter your saddle pad's
color too much from the original dye).

More stubborn cases of infestation may require a washing in diluted
Nolvasan, chlorhexidine, or other veterinary hospital disinfectants.

Also, you may want to run the pad through the washer again (before the
dryer) in only plain, hot water if your horse may be sensitive to laundry
product residue.

Hope it helps,

Kim (and Lee, the QH-mutt mare)

Lubbock, TX

> However Ann and Haley have this funky sour smelling sweat! Ugh I can't get
> it off my hands! I didn't hose off as usuall because it may be a bit
chilly
> tonight. I brushed the pads out and they are line dried after each use.
The