Re: RC: Distemper in Arizona

Hi Bonnie
This is an annual occurrence in CA. Don't worry--- it does go away with
rarely any aftereffects. Avoid giving antibiotics; we've found that just
makes it last longer. Clean out the abscess area with betadine--- don't
be afraid to scrub to debris-- and then smear SWAT everywhere--- As it
is transmitted by flies (the little ones usually grouping around
bellies) and is in the soil, it is NOT contagious between horses (unless
a fly happens to bite the infected one and then another--- it is more
likely, though that the fly get it from the soil as that is where the
disease is harbored and may lay dormant for years. Isolating the horses
does little-- as flies know no boundaries. Some years I get lucky; some
years, not. Right now the vet says he's seeing a new one every day
around here. Save your money-- no vet needed unless it gets into the
sheath--- then it can get serious.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov