Re: (W) Training Ride- end of Tevis

Leah, here are directions to the Overlook and on the trail:

If you are coming from Sacramento area, take I-80 east to Maple Street, the
first Auburn offramp.  Go straight up Maple, through the signal at the top,
and continue on Auburn Folsom; about the fourth signal from the freeway,
turn left at Pacific, and drive to the Overlook.  It is on the right just
before Pacific crosses railroad tracks, and is up behind the Gold Country
Fairgrounds.  The first parking lot is paved.  Just past this is the
equestrian parking lot, which is unpaved.  The trail is pretty easy to
follow from the Overlook between hoofprints and trail markings.  When you
cross No-Hands Bridge, you have a choice to cross Hwy. 49 at the lower
quarry or the upper quarry.  Either way, turn hard right after crossing the
bridge and go up the trail about 1/2 mi. - you are above Hwy. 49.  You will
come to a very open spot about 100 ft. long, shortly thereafter, the trail
to the road crossing takes off to the left down the bank.  This is a "hairy"
crossing.  You would be better off going on up the hill and cross at the
upper quarry.  Go up the old Tevis trail (which you are on).  At the top, it
will come out onto a dirt road.  Turn left; follow for a short while, a
trail takes off to the left.  Take this trail and it "Ts" into another trail
shortly.  Take the left turn (the right one goes to Cool), and go down to
the upper quarry crossing.  Much better crossing, flat ground, sight
distance left and right, and follow the signs down to the river.  Then, you
can turn right at the river (lower quarry road) and go as far as the river
crossing.  On the way back, if you follow the river road all the way back to
Hwy. 49, the crossing is much safer in that direction, but I would
definitely dismount at both quarry crossings.

Hope this helps.  If you need further elaboration, email me at
jdowis@foothill.net.  I think this answers Beth Glover's question also.

Joan Dowis