Re: RC: (W) Training Ride- end of Tevis

Just before sending this I noticed that Joan Dowis beat me to the
punch.  Interestingly, we came up with two rather different sets of
directions, but (trust me) either will work...

beth glover wrote:

> Hi Leah and RC;  Does anybody know about how it is at the Hwy 49 road
> crossing when you aren't doing it with crossing guards etc?  we were over
> there, hiking actually, and it looked a little hairy, there was a lot of
> traffic. Any suggestions?  I was also told to be sure and let someone know
> that you are on the trail in case you get lost or injured. B.

Driving Directions to Tevis Finish area (aka WST Staging Area):

Take Hwy 49 exit from I-80 at Auburn and turn South (to the right in
either case.)
Go right at traffic light on Lincoln Way (about 1 block from the
freeway.)
Go left at the next light (one block) onto Auburn-Folsom Road.
Go left at the next light (one long block) onto High Street.
You will pass the main entrance to the Gold Country Fairgrounds on your
right.
Go right onto Pleasant Avenue (one block past the GC Fairground
entrance.)
Follow Pleasant up the hill for about a half mile.  After you cross the
railroad tracks, look for the turn-in to the Staging Area on your left
about 50 yards on.

Yes, bring people water. Two pints/person should do.  There is horse
water on the trail.  Dust is not too bad just now.  Riding these trails
as a single rider is not a good idea.

Hwy 49 is heavily travelled, but if you get off and lead your horse
across, most drivers will slow down for you.  Hint: Don't lead out in
front of a logging truck. ;)

The trail, coming from the Lower Quarry direction, heading toward
Auburn, continues across the road and slightly uphill from where you
come out onto Hwy 49 and is in the "scramble up the bank" category.

You may not want to scramble *down* the bank to the highway's edge when
riding from the Auburn side.  Take the railbed trail leading to the left
after crossing No Hands Bridge (instead of the official trail to the
right) and then lead your horse along either side of the highway,
crossing whenever safe, and picking up the trail continuation about 100
yds up on the other side.

The weather has been perfect of late.  Have a great ride!

/richard, teviswebguy

--
Natalie's Barn & Breakfast  http://www.natbarn.com  1-877-NATBARN