Re: Panacur Dosage X 2

Hi all,
This is an interesting topic.
Encysted larvae seem to be the problem of the moment.  I would be interested
to hear what the vets think about this?  Is it a real problem or something
dreamed up by the dewormer manufacturers?  (a bit tongue in cheek here)
In UK the wormer is marketed as Panacur Guard and is a 5-day treatment by
mouth.  P. Guard is not available in France.
I use Panacur 10% (liquid) which according to my vet (one of the top 5 horse
vets in France) is the same thing cheaper and comes in 1litre bottles.
I have had good results with particular horses who seem more susceptible to
parasites than others.
I have however jumped on the encysted larvae band-wagon and deworm all my
horses in training twice a year.
I am curious as to what problems have been reported for Quest (marketed as
"Equest" in Europe).
The only problems reported here are with very young foals.  I mean, if
you're stupid enough to give a 6-day old foal a whole syringue of
Equest...........???
What with worming for encysted larvae (twice a year), worming for tapeworm
(once a year) plus the rest looks like the future is rosy for the
pharmaceutical companies.
My vet says that the critical thing is the condition of the pasture.  He
says you can worm all you like but if the pasture is "dirty" as soon as the
horse goes out and drops his head to graze he will re-infest himself.
Obviously in the States you have more space so perhaps the parasites are
less of a problem, also climatic conditions in some areas are different.
Here we are seeing more and more mild wet winters, you can just see the
larvae clapping their hands can't you??
Heather
SW France